Through participating in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities, the graduates of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, will develop competencies to become:
Equipped with a foundation for growth and professional success
- Communication skills - using verbal, written, visual and listening skills to communicate persuasively and coherently
- Interpersonal skills - demonstrating teamwork and leadership skills to achieve common goals
- Disciplinary learning - applying, integrating, and adapting fundamental information, concepts, theories and methods in their principal disciplines
Able to apply their knowledge and skills to future challenges and opportunities
- Critical thinking - thinking clearly and logically to evaluate ideas, analyze and interpret information, and draw inferences through reasoning
- Problem solving - identifying, formulating, investigating, and solving quantitative and qualitative problems effectively and creatively
- Information literacy - locating, assessing, using and communicating qualitative, quantitative and scientific information, among a wide variety of sources, methods, and tools
- Integrating and transferring learning - making connections across disciplines and between current and new knowledge, and applying that knowledge in professional and community life
Taking an active role as a citizen in a diverse multicultural environment
- Ethical understanding - applying ethical considerations in professional, personal and social life
- Liberal learning - demonstrating knowledge and appreciation of the physical and natural world, and of the development and legacies of diverse world cultures
- Global citizenship - understanding the responsibilities of being a global citizen and the role of civic engagement in fostering a democratic society
- Intentional learning - employing self-knowledge of the social and cognitive factors influencing their learning to engage in ongoing reflection and exploration for the purpose of personal development
- Lifelong learning - pursuing educational interests from previous learning outside classroom requirements indicating intellectual curiosity, energy, and passion in the expansion of knowledge, understanding, and abilities.
- The program will provide knowledge of apparel and textile products, processes, and related technologies.
- The program will provide students with an understanding of aesthetics and consumer behavior as they apply to the textile and apparel industries.
- The program will provide students with an understanding of how the industry meets the needs and wants of consumers, markets, and society at large in an interdependent global economy.
- The program will cultivate the development of professional attitudes and provide graduates with skills so they will be able to function and behave in a professional manner in the competitive apparel industry.