Monday, March 18, 2013

Life Experiences

The Flame Broiler

     Between March 2009 and March 2012, I held down my first real job working as a cashier at The Flame Broiler. It was here that I learned how to talk with customers and interact with my coworkers. I learned a lot of people skills on both ends. With my coworkers, I had to communicate to make sure the orders came through correctly and in a reasonable amount of time. I learned to communicate with my boss about things the store needed, customers that were asking for him, and other inquiries that required my boss’s attention. I also became skilled at speaking with customers and putting smiles on their faces by getting their order to them quickly and making small talk. I was happy I was able to stay with this company for a long time, and my boss always complimented me in that for the entire time I was there, he never had any problems arise with me. I was proud to be able to say that I worked efficiently at my job and got along with everyone I encountered.


Fashion Modeling

     Since the beginning of 2012, I have done modeling work both in fashion shows and photo shoots. I have modeled in 4 Japanese fashion shows showcasing various street fashions, working with the brands Baby, the Stars Shine Bright, Kapibara-san, and Miss Angela Che. I have also modeled in 3 Japanese street fashion and 1 glamour professional photo shoots, one of these being for the store I interned at, Fairytale Boutique, and working with local photographers such as LAPhotoNet, Mike Cabusi, and Zekie Cho


      For years I have watched America’s Next Top Model because I’ve always been interested in the gorgeous photos they produce and all the tips and tricks they learn to achieve these photos. To have photographers approach me and ask me to model for them is a dream. It was even more pleasing to hear that they were extremely happy with the resulting photos!
“[Sami] came ready and pumped. We kept the shoot very simple, and ended up getting great results. I learned so much in this shoot. Thanks to Sami for being awesome.” “The shoot turned out better than I had hoped. Sami was a pleasure to work with. I had a great time photographing [her].” - LAphotoNet
     When I saw them I was floored; they came out better than I could have hoped for! Although ANTM is the only real “modeling training” I’ve had, I think I’ve got quite a knack for modeling! I hope this is something I can continue to do, because it’s given me a great confidence boost knowing that this is something I’m good at, and the photographers that have shot me see that too.


Photos from LAphotoNet

     Modeling in fashion shows has been an amazing experience as well. Walking onto a stage and everyone is looking at just you is scary, but incredibly breathtaking and exciting. I’ve modeled for shows that have had a few hundred people to a few thousand people in the audience, and it always is a thrill. Again, it’s incredible to have people who are working on these shows ask me if I want to model, and every time it’s a unique experience!

Photo from Peter Huynh
Photo from MarkFrancisPhotography
Photo taken by Shannon Cottrell for LA Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment